Read Across America Day is celebrated every year on March 2nd, in conjunction with Dr. Suess' birthday. Every year, various activities and events are held to promote the importance of reading -- primarily with children and young adults.
LifeWorks Coordinators joined in the time-to-read spirit, hosting educational and festive events across the country.
Below is a list of festivities residents enjoyed all in the name of celebrating books!
- West Point Family Housing designed Cat in the Hat hats, had story time and were given 'loot bags' filled to the brim with Dr. Suess crayons, pencils, bookmarks and coloring books.
- Vandenberg Family Housing watched the Cat in the Hat movie and enjoyed creatively themed refreshments: Yahoo chocolate drinks inspired by Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You, multi-colored goldfish straight from the One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish pages and of course green eggs and ham inspired by the same name classic.
- Beale Family Housing enjoyed cupcakes, crafts and movie time.
- Fairchild Family Housing held children's book giveaways and ate cake and ice cream.
- Lackland Family Housing's own LifeWorks Coordinator, Crystal Roper, held storytime with the Cat in the Hat -- and even dressed the part!
- Mountain Home Family Housing enjoyed snacks and crafts -- creating a Cat in the Hat inspired photo prop.
Jodi Gellman, LifeWorks Coordinator at West Point Family Housing
said, 'The celebration was a great success in making reading fun and capturing the interest of the wee ones.'
For information regarding LifeWorks events near your location, visit your property website.